Wireless sensor technology is becoming the standard in many industries such as retail, security, health care, urban planning, agriculture, production, and supply chain management as well as in everyday electronic and IoT devices. The use of wireless technology has grown quickly because it allows for the efficient collection of information and automated data exchange that takes place in real time over wireless networks. In order for wireless sensors to continue to work efficiently, they require a dependable battery to provide consistent, long-lasting performance.
Nichicon produces lithium titanate-oxide (LTO) batteries that can be used in a wide range of wireless sensors. Our high energy density batteries have a lifespan of over 25,000 charge and discharge cycles as well as energy harvesting qualities to deliver consistent power that keeps wireless devices connected.
What Makes Nichicon Batteries Great for Wireless Sensing Applications?
Wireless sensors need batteries that are low maintenance and can reliably provide consistent power over a long period of time without the need for maintenance or replacing the battery. Batteries with energy harvesting qualities are also ideal as they can collect and store energy to provide additional power in the absence of a wired power source.
Nichicon’s SLB batteries are an ideal solution for powering wireless sensors. The small size of our LTO batteries allows them to be used in space constrained applications such as small wireless devices. Our SLB batteries are low maintenance with a high energy density and a lifecycle of over 25,000 charge/ discharge cycles which means they will last for years within wireless devices without requiring replacement.
The following characteristics make Nichicon’s SLB batteries ideal for wireless sensors:
- Rapid charging: Our SLB batteries are rechargeable and can charge and discharge quickly in about 3 minutes. This allows them to provide uninterrupted power to keep wireless sensors functioning.
- Micro-size: With a small, 3-millimeter diameter, our LTO batteries can be used in constrained spaces for small wireless devices.
- Long life: Our LTO batteries can last for more than 25,000 charge/ discharge cycles and can power wireless sensors for a long time without requiring replacement.
- Maintenance free: Our LTO batteries require no maintenance and rarely need to be replaced.
- Sustainable: Our LTO batteries meet all environmental standards for disposal and operation and are RoHS compliant.
- High energy density: The high energy density of our LTO batteries delivers long-lasting performance to keep wireless sensors running.
- High safety: Our LTO batteries are designed to operate in extreme hot and cold conditions with low risk of explosion or ignition, making them an ideal option for outdoor wireless sensors.
- Low temperature: Our LTO batteries can charge and discharge effectively in temperatures as low as -30°C.
- High power discharge: It only takes about 3 minutes for our LTO batteries to discharge which suits the short discharge requirements of wireless sensors.
- UL 1642 & IEC 62133-2 certified
- ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 certified
The high energy density lithium batteries from Nichicon have a higher voltage output than many other batteries, superior performance and charge/ discharge capabilities, and a longer lifespan. You can expect consistent performance in a small size.
To learn more about our high-density batteries, call Nichicon or talk to a distributor or sales rep in your area.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONs
The lithium titanate battery (LTO) shares many characteristics with the lithium-ion battery. One difference is the LTO anode. An LTO battery uses lithium titanate oxide, while a lithium-ion battery uses carbon. By using lithium titanate, the battery has a significant performance improvement.
The SLB is a battery with long leads, just like a standard capacitor. The leaded profile allows for soldering directly to the circuit board using hand soldering or a select solder technique. Lithium Titanate batteries require an additional mounting bracket or holder placed on a circuit board. The Nichicon SLB (LTO) take less board space allowing them to be used in very compact or densely populated circuit boards.
LTO batteries are safer; they have an extremely small risk of ignition if there is a short. The SLB, Nichicon’s LTO battery, has superior charge and discharge capabilities, such as a 20C charge rate. Even higher rates are possible with pulsed discharges, like those used in telecommunications.
‘The SLB can withstand up to 25,000 charge/discharge cycles and have a lower cold temperature rating than a lithium-ion battery. And its low internal resistance allows energy harvesters to charge with weak currents without loss. They will not ignite if a short occurs. In addition to the advantages previously mentioned, the SLB comes in aluminum electrolytic case styles and size.
LTO batteries provide a substantial increase in capacity and demonstrate minimal self-discharge, distinguishing them from electric double-layer capacitors and enabling prolonged discharge. Remarkably, smaller rechargeable LTO batteries offer an impressive 20-30-fold increase in energy density compared to equivalently sized electric double-layer capacitors. Leveraging this significant advantage, our LTO batteries present a viable alternative to electric double-layer capacitors, delivering consistent power output over extended periods.
Our LTO batteries stand out in terms of their rapid charging, discharging, and extended lifespan, surpassing the capabilities of typical lithium-ion batteries while ensuring enhanced safety. Conventional lithium-ion rechargeable batteries face difficulties in achieving high power discharge, but our LTO batteries effortlessly handle this challenge with exceptional charge/discharge performance and remarkably fast charging times. The ability of LTO batteries to charge rapidly makes them ideal for devices that require quick charging intervals or scenarios. Unlike lithium-ion batteries LTO batteries can also be charged with weaker or low charging currents.