There is an increasing demand for batteries that can operate in harsh conditions, including extreme temperatures, without leaks or ruptures. The LTO batteries from Nichicon are low temperature batteries that can continue to operate in temperatures as low as -30℃ with a very low risk of ignition or explosion.
What is a low temperature battery?
A low temperature battery is a battery with low temperature characteristics that allow it to continue to operate in temperatures below 0℃. For standard lithium-ion batteries, their resistance increases when the temperature drops to about 0°C which limits the energy storage of the battery and extends its charging time and decreases its capacity. The lithium-titanium-oxide (LTO) batteries made by Nichicon hold around 50% of their charge and discharge capacity at temperatures as low as -30°C.
The reason standard lithium-ion batteries have difficulty operating and charging at temperatures below 0°C is because the lithium ions are less likely to be absorbed by the graphite anode and condense as lithium metal. When lithium metal condenses, dendrites form that can penetrate the separator between the cathode and anode which leads to an internal short circuit. When an internal short circuit occurs, a high current passes through the short circuit which generates heat that causes decomposition within the electrolyte. The cathode, anode, and electrolyte react to the heat, resulting in sparks and the release of oxygen which creates an oxygen combustion reaction. This can set off a chain of exothermic reactions that cause thermal runaway and fire.
What are the advantages of Nichicon low temperature batteries?
The LTO batteries from Nichicon avoid The charging capacity at -30°C may decrease to about 52% and the discharge capacity can decrease to about 46%. The resistance in standard lithium-ion batteries can cause Nichicon’s LTO batteries can operate safely in cold temperatures.
What are the advantages of Nichicon low temperature batteries?
Nichicon low temperature batteries can remain operational in extremely low temperatures and only lose about half of their charge/ discharge capacity in temperatures as low as -30°C. They are also much safer to use in low temperatures than standard lithium-ion batteries because the titanium anode is not easily subject to
The following are the key advantages of Nichicon’s LTO batteries:
- Rapid charging: Our LTO battery boasts a rechargeable design with an enhanced charging current, allowing for faster and safer charging compared to conventional lithium-ion batteries.
- Micro size: Our micro LTO battery has a lightweight construction and occupies minimal space, rendering it perfect for applications with limited space constraints.
- Extended lifespan: These batteries offer an extensive life cycle, exhibiting negligible capacity deterioration in charge/discharge cycle tests. The utilization of lithium titanate in the anode promotes longevity by reducing the likelihood of consumption by the electrolyte during SEI formation.
- Maintenance free: Our LTO batteries require virtually no maintenance, rarely necessitating replacement.
- Sustainable: These batteries are designed to be environmentally Responsible and adhere to international standards such as RoHS regulations, meeting stringent standards for operation.
- High power density: These high-power discharge batteries possess an input/output density that approaches that of super capacitors.
- Enhanced safety: Our LTO batteries surpass typical lithium-ion batteries in terms of safety and reliability.
- Low temperature: These batteries can function in temperatures as low as -30℃, exhibiting an extremely low risk of explosion or ignition.
- High energy density: Our LTO batteries exhibit a higher energy density comparable to supercapacitors.
- High power discharge: These batteries excel in high discharge scenarios, allowing for rapid and complete discharge.
- UL 1642 & IEC 62133-2 certified
- ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 certified
What are the application areas of Nichicon low temperature batteries?
Our LTO batteries deliver exceptional performance across various applications. They can be utilized as an independent power solution or in conjunction with other batteries or power sources. These versatile LTO batteries are well-suited for a wide range of applications, including consumer devices, handheld scanners, data centers, military deployments, smart metering systems, measurement equipment, and other scenarios where compact size, elevated voltage, and increased energy capacity are crucial factors.
Some examples of applications where our LTO batteries can be used include but are not limited to:
- IIoT and IoT applications
- Wireless sensors
- Asset tracking applications
- Energy harvesting applications using intermittent ambient energy sources
- Space constrained applications
The LTO batteries from Nichicon have low temperature qualities that allow them to operate safely in temperatures as low as -30°C while only losing about half of their charge/ discharge capacity. These batteries can be trusted to operate safely in situations involving extreme cold.
You can call Nichicon or talk to a distributor or sales rep in your area for more about our low temperature batteries.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONs
The lithium titanate battery (LTO) shares many characteristics with the lithium-ion battery. One difference is the LTO anode. An LTO battery uses lithium titanate oxide, while a lithium-ion battery uses carbon. By using lithium titanate, the battery has a significant performance improvement.
The SLB is a battery with long leads, just like a standard capacitor. The leaded profile allows for soldering directly to the circuit board using hand soldering or a select solder technique. Lithium Titanate batteries require an additional mounting bracket or holder placed on a circuit board. The Nichicon SLB (LTO) take less board space allowing them to be used in very compact or densely populated circuit boards.
LTO batteries are safer; they have an extremely small risk of ignition if there is a short. The SLB, Nichicon’s LTO battery, has superior charge and discharge capabilities, such as a 20C charge rate. Even higher rates are possible with pulsed discharges, like those used in telecommunications.
‘The SLB can withstand up to 25,000 charge/discharge cycles and have a lower cold temperature rating than a lithium-ion battery. And its low internal resistance allows energy harvesters to charge with weak currents without loss. They will not ignite if a short occurs. In addition to the advantages previously mentioned, the SLB comes in aluminum electrolytic case styles and size.
LTO batteries offer significantly greater capacity and exhibit minimal leakage current compared to electric double-layer capacitors, enabling them to be discharged over extended durations. Rechargeable LTO batteries of smaller size deliver an astonishing 20-30-fold increase in energy when compared to equivalently sized double-layer capacitors. Leveraging this advantage, our LTO batteries can effectively serve as a viable alternative to electric double-layer capacitors, delivering sustained power output for prolonged periods.
Our LTO batteries excel in rapid charging, discharging, and longevity, surpassing the capabilities of standard lithium-ion batteries while offering enhanced safety. Achieving high power discharge is a challenging feat for conventional lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, but our LTO batteries effortlessly handle it with superior charge/discharge performance and remarkably quick charging times. The rapid charging capability of LTO batteries makes them perfect for devices that demand swift charging intervals or situations where charging may be interrupted or inadvertently overlooked.