The internet of things (IoT) is a term used to describe devices with software, sensors, and processing ability that can connect and exchange data with other systems and devices through the internet and other communications networks. Devices that fall under the IoT category include items we use every day such as sensors, actuators, gadgets, appliances, and machines that use the internet to transmit data.
At Nichicon, we produce rechargeable lithium titanium-oxide (LTO) batteries that are ideal for IoT devices. These secondary, board-mounted batteries can operate in constrained spaces, including within IoT devices, and have a lifespan of more than 25,000 charge and discharge cycles for long lasting performance.
What is a Battery for IoT?
An IoT device needs a small battery for power. These devices typically use small rechargeable batteries. Due to their compact size, they can be used in space constrained applications. IoT batteries must be sustainable and long lasting with a high-energy density so that they can power IoT devices for a long time.
The LTO batteries produced by Nichicon can be used in a wide range of IoT devices including wireless headsets, mobile devices, medical devices, voice controllers, doorbell cameras, smart thermostats, smoke alarms, and much more.
What Makes Nichicon Batteries Great for IoT Applications?
Nichicon’s LTO batteries are an excellent option for IoT applications because they can provide high power density in a small, long-lasting battery that operates well in space constrained applications. Their long life and low maintenance qualities make it so that changing the battery in IoT devices is rarely needed.
The following are the main advantages of LTO batteries in IoT applications:
- Rapid charging: Our rapid charging LTO batteries can fully charge in about 3 minutes, making them able to provide consistent power to IoT devices.
- Micro-size: Our LTO batteries are cylindrical in shape and have compact size starting from 3 millimeters in diameter which makes them perfect for the constrained space within IoT devices.
- Long life: With a lifespan of more than 25,000 charge and discharge cycles, our LTO batteries can power IoT devices for a prolonged period of time without needing to be replaced.
- Maintenance free: Our LTO batteries are maintenance free which makes them a reliable option for keeping IoT devices working properly.
- Sustainable: Our LTO batteries comply with all applicable environmental requirements, including RoHS, making them a more sustainable, eco-friendly solution to power IoT devices.
- High energy density: LTO batteries deliver high energy density for IoT applications for superior, long-lasting performance.
- High safety: Our LTO batteries can operate safely in a wide variety of environmental conditions, including extreme hot and cold temperatures, with a low risk of ignition or explosion. They are reliable for use in IoT devices that are used outdoors.
- Low temperature: Our LTO batteries are designed to be able to charge and discharge efficiently in temperatures as low as -30°C with virtually no risk of combustion.
- High power discharge: Our LTO batteries can discharge in as little as 3 minutes compared to standard lithium-ion that may take around an hour. These batteries meet the short discharge requirements of IoT devices.
- UL 1642 & IEC 62133-2 certified
- ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 certified
Batteries for Smart Meters
Smart meters are electronic devices that monitor and measure the consumption of energy in near real time. They are used to measure and record the consumption of electricity, gas, water, and other utilities. Homes and businesses both make use of smart meters for reliable monitoring of utility consumption which can help homeowners and businesses implement more energy efficient practices to save on utility costs.
The LTO batteries from Nichicon are ideal batteries for smart meters. LTO batteries are high-energy, long-life batteries which are required for the dependable operation and data transmission of smart meters. These batteries are stable, accurate, and a more cost-effective solution for smart utility meters than wiring meters to the main power supply. They are also maintenance-free, long-lasting batteries that can last for more than 25,000 charge and discharge cycles. Long-lasting, high-power density LTO batteries are great batteries for smart utility meters as replacement of the battery in these meters can be difficult and costly.
The high energy density lithium batteries from Nichicon have a higher voltage output than many other batteries, superior performance and charge/ discharge capabilities, and a longer lifespan. You can expect consistent performance in a small size.
To learn more about our high-density batteries, call Nichicon or talk to a distributor or sales rep in your area.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONs
The lithium titanate battery (LTO) shares many characteristics with the lithium-ion battery. One difference is the LTO anode. An LTO battery uses lithium titanate oxide, while a lithium-ion battery uses carbon. By using lithium titanate, the battery has a significant performance improvement.
The SLB is a battery with long leads, just like a standard capacitor. The leaded profile allows for soldering directly to the circuit board using hand soldering or a select solder technique. Lithium Titanate batteries require an additional mounting bracket or holder placed on a circuit board. The Nichicon SLB (LTO) take less board space allowing them to be used in very compact or densely populated circuit boards.
LTO batteries are safer; they have an extremely small risk of ignition if there is a short. The SLB, Nichicon’s LTO battery, has superior charge and discharge capabilities, such as a 20C charge rate. Even higher rates are possible with pulsed discharges, like those used in telecommunications.
‘The SLB can withstand up to 25,000 charge/discharge cycles and have a lower cold temperature rating than a lithium-ion battery. And its low internal resistance allows energy harvesters to charge with weak currents without loss. They will not ignite if a short occurs. In addition to the advantages previously mentioned, the SLB comes in aluminum electrolytic case styles and size.
LTO batteries provide a substantial increase in capacity and demonstrate minimal self-discharge, distinguishing them from electric double-layer capacitors and enabling prolonged discharge. Remarkably, smaller rechargeable LTO batteries offer an impressive 20-30-fold increase in energy density compared to equivalently sized electric double-layer capacitors. Leveraging this significant advantage, our LTO batteries present a viable alternative to electric double-layer capacitors, delivering consistent power output over extended periods.
Our LTO batteries stand out in terms of their rapid charging, discharging, and extended lifespan, surpassing the capabilities of typical lithium-ion batteries while ensuring enhanced safety. Conventional lithium-ion rechargeable batteries face difficulties in achieving high power discharge, but our LTO batteries effortlessly handle this challenge with exceptional charge/discharge performance and remarkably fast charging times. The ability of LTO batteries to charge rapidly makes them ideal for devices that require quick charging intervals or scenarios. Unlike lithium-ion batteries LTO batteries can also be charged with weaker or low charging currents.