One of the disadvantages of standard lithium-ion batteries compared to super capacitors is that they have a shorter life cycle. However, there are many applications that demand the longer cycle life and shorter charging times of super capacitors with the energy density of a lithium-ion battery. Nichicon produces an LTO long cycle life battery that can last beyond 25,000 charge and discharge life cycles.
What is a long cycle life battery?
A long cycle life battery is a battery that can last through many charge and discharge cycles before its performance becomes compromised. All batteries can last a certain number of charge and discharge cycles before the battery no longer holds a charge as long as it used to or performs to its maximum capacity. Lithium-titanium-oxide (LTO) batteries have many more cycles than traditional lithium-ion batteries.
The LTO batteries from Nichicon are long life lithium batteries that can last for many more cycles than traditional lithium-ion batteries. Most lithium-ion batteries experience significant capacity degradation after several hundred to a thousand charge/ discharge cycles. This is because with regular lithium-ion batteries, lithium ions are more likely to be consumed by the electrolyte when the SEI is formed. LTO batteries use lithium titanate in the anode which reduces the consumption of lithium ions by the electrolyte, resulting in a much longer lifespan.
LTO batteries can last for more than 25,000 charge/ discharge cycles before experiencing any degradation to its performance in contrast to standard lithium-ion batteries that may lose performance after 1000 charge/ discharge cycles. In fact, LTO batteries may maintain 80% or more of their discharge capacity even after 25,000 cycles. This makes these long cycle life lithium batteries ideal for devices that need to be charged and discharged several times a day.
What are the advantages of Nichicon long cycle life batteries?
The long life LTO batteries we produce can last for up to 25,000 charge/ discharge cycles before their performance becomes compromised. Even after 25,000 cycles, they may still operate at around 80% of their original capacity. They have many more cycles than standard lithium-ion batteries and are best used in applications that require several charges and discharges within a short timeframe.
The following are the main advantages of our long cycle life LTO batteries:
- Rapid charging: Our LTO batteries provide significantly accelerated charging compared to traditional lithium-ion batteries. While a typical lithium-ion battery takes around an hour to charge, our LTO batteries can reach a full charge in just about 3 minutes. This feature makes our LTO batteries ideal for applications that require a compact yet high-powered energy source.
- Micro size: Our micro-sized cylindrical LTO batteries boast an unprecedented diameter as small as 3 millimeters. These batteries occupy minimal space and seamlessly integrate into applications with limited area availability.
- Extended lifespan: Engineered for longevity, our high-cycle life battery exceeds expectations by enduring over 25,000 charge/discharge cycles. Their resistance to overcharging and over-discharging ensures durability. The inclusion of lithium titanate in LTO batteries also contributes to their extended lifespan, minimizing the depletion of lithium ions by the electrolyte.
- Maintenance free: Our long cycle life batteries require no maintenance, allowing users to focus on their tasks without interruptions.
- Sustainable solution: These batteries are designed to be environmentally Responsible and adhere to international standards such as RoHS regulations, meeting stringent standards for operation.
- High power density: The remarkable power density of our long life LTO batteries surpasses that of typical lithium-ion batteries, rivaling the capabilities of electric double-layer capacitors (EDLCs).
- High safety: Our batteries demonstrate exceptional safety performance, enabling flawless operation even in harsh physical and environmental conditions.
- Low temperature: Designed to withstand low temperatures, these specialized batteries can be charged and discharged in environments as cold as -30°C. Unlike standard lithium-ion batteries, the use of lithium titanate in our LTO batteries limits the risk of thermal runaway and ignition at such low temperatures.
- High power discharge: Unleashing impressive power discharge capabilities, our high discharge batteries can fully deplete their energy in approximately 3 minutes, significantly faster than the hour-long process required by conventional lithium-ion batteries.
- UL 1642 & IEC 62133-2 certified
- ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 certified
What are the application areas of Nichicon long cycle life batteries?
Our long cycle life batteries utilize advanced LTO technology and feature a sleek cylindrical design, starting at 3 millimeters in diameter, increasing to 12.5 millimeters. These batteries are specifically engineered to deliver exceptional performance, meeting the unique demands of electronic devices operating within space-constrained environments. Whether used as standalone power sources or in conjunction with other batteries.
Offering a cost-effective and high-power solution, our long life lithium batteries cater to a wide range of applications, including consumer devices, handheld scanners, data centers, smart metering systems, wireless sensors, measuring instruments, and other scenarios requiring long lasting batteries.
The capabilities of our long cycle life batteries make them suitable for the following applications:
- IoT applications: Our LTO batteries are ideally suited for powering Internet of Things (IoT) devices, ensuring efficient operation and seamless connectivity.
- Energy harvesting applications: Harnessing intermittent ambient energy sources becomes more feasible with our LTO batteries, enabling reliable and sustainable power generation for energy harvesting applications.
- Wireless sensors: With their compact size and high energy density, our LTO batteries are an excellent choice for wireless sensor devices, guaranteeing long-lasting and dependable performance.
- Asset tracking applications: Our LTO batteries provide a compact and robust power source, making them well-suited for supporting tracking and monitoring systems, enhancing asset tracking efficiency.
- Space-constrained applications: In environments with limited space availability, our LTO batteries excel by delivering high energy in a small form factor, making them indispensable for space-constrained applications.
Nichicon manufactures long-lasting LTO batteries that can maintain approximately 80% of their original capacity even after 25,000 charge/ discharge cycles. These batteries are ideal for applications in which the batteries will be discharged and recharged multiple times a day.
If you want to know more about the long life lithium batteries from Nichicon, contact us or a sales rep or distributor in your area to learn more.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONs
The lithium titanate battery (LTO) shares many characteristics with the lithium-ion battery. One difference is the LTO anode. An LTO battery uses lithium titanate oxide, while a lithium-ion battery uses carbon. By using lithium titanate, the battery has a significant performance improvement.
The SLB is a battery with long leads, just like a standard capacitor. The leaded profile allows for soldering directly to the circuit board using hand soldering or a select solder technique. Lithium Titanate batteries require an additional mounting bracket or holder placed on a circuit board. The Nichicon SLB (LTO) take less board space allowing them to be used in very compact or densely populated circuit boards.
LTO batteries are safer; they have an extremely small risk of ignition if there is a short. The SLB, Nichicon’s LTO battery, has superior charge and discharge capabilities, such as a 20C charge rate. Even higher rates are possible with pulsed discharges, like those used in telecommunications.
‘The SLB can withstand up to 25,000 charge/discharge cycles and have a lower cold temperature rating than a lithium-ion battery. And its low internal resistance allows energy harvesters to charge with weak currents without loss. They will not ignite if a short occurs. In addition to the advantages previously mentioned, the SLB comes in aluminum electrolytic case styles and size.
LTO batteries excel in capacity, discharge duration, and self-discharge duration, surpassing the capabilities of electric double-layer capacitors (EDLCs). When compared to EDLCs, LTO rechargeable batteries exhibit significantly higher energy capacity, with the potential to store up to 20-30 times more energy in batteries of the same size. This exceptional benefit positions LTO batteries as a compelling alternative to EDLCs, providing prolonged periods of uninterrupted power supply.
LTO batteries stand apart from standard lithium-ion batteries primarily due to the difference of anode active material. While lithium-ion batteries typically use carbon, typically graphite, LTO batteries utilize lithium titanate as their anode active material. This fundamental difference leads to several advantageous characteristics exhibited by LTO batteries, including faster charging and discharging capabilities, extended lifespan, enhanced safety, and higher power density when compared to standard lithium-ion batteries.