With electronic devices getting smaller and more compact, there is an increased demand for rechargeable micro batteries that can fit in small spaces. Nichicon produces rechargeable micro lithium-ion batteries that can be used in a range of devices that require a small, reliable LTO battery. Our LTO micro batteries have higher charging and discharging speeds than typical lithium-ion batteries with a longer life.
What is a micro battery?
A micro battery is a small battery that is used for micropower applications in devices such as earbuds, medical devices, wearable sensors, and more. These batteries are capable of being a stand-alone power source or a load leveling device for the existing power source to help extend its life. They are ideal for applications that require micro-energy harvesting and power density in a small size.
The micro batteries from Nichicon are lithium-titanium-oxide (LTO) batteries, which means they use lithium titanate as the active anode material instead of graphite which is common in standard lithium-ion batteries. These batteries have a higher power density than other lithium-ion batteries as they can charge and discharge faster, last longer, and deliver superior performance in a smaller size. Our goal is to help design engineers who need micro energy harvesting storage.
At Nichicon, we lead the industry in manufacturing micro LTO batteries with our micro cylindrical batteries with sizes ranging from 3 millimeters to 12.5 millimeters in diameter; from 7 millimeters to 40 millimeters in length. Our rechargeable micro-batteries can be used in consumer electronics, medical devices, IoT, and other space constrained devices.
We offer single-cell 2.4V micro batteries in the following dimensions:
- SLB03070LR35: 3 millimeters in diameter and 7 millimeters long
- SLB03090LR80: 3.3 millimeters in diameter and 9 millimeters long
- SLB04255L040: 4 millimeters in diameter and 25.5 millimeters long
- SLB08115L140: 8 millimeters in diameter and 11.5 millimeters long
- SLB12400L151: 12.5 millimeters in diameter and 40 millimeters long
What are the advantages of Nichicon micro batteries?
Nichicon rechargeable micro batteries provide rapid charging and discharging, high density, and micro energy harvesting storage for space constrained applications in a wide range of electronic devices. They are also more energy efficient and last longer than standard lithium-ion batteries.
Our LTO micro batteries have the following advantages:
- Rapid charging: Our micro batteries offer significantly faster charging capabilities compared to conventional lithium-ion batteries. While a typical lithium-ion battery may require around an hour to charge, our LTO batteries can achieve a full charge in just about 3 minutes. This feature makes our LTO batteries particularly suitable for applications that demand a compact yet high-powered energy source.
- Micro size: Introducing our latest innovation, the micro-sized cylindrical LTO batteries, which boast a record-breaking diameter of 3 millimeters. These batteries occupy minimal space and can be seamlessly integrated into applications with limited area availability.
- Extended lifespan: Designed for longevity, our high-cycle life battery exceeds expectations by enduring over 25,000 charge/discharge cycles. The resistance to over-charging and over-discharging ensures their durability. The incorporation of lithium titanate in LTO batteries also contributes to their extended lifespan, as it minimizes the depletion of lithium ions by the electrolyte.
- Maintenance free: Our board-mount batteries demand no maintenance, allowing users to focus on their tasks without disruptions.
- Sustainable: These batteries are designed to be environmentally Responsible and adhere to international standards such as RoHS regulations, meeting stringent standards for operation.
- High power density: The impressive power density of our micro LTO batteries surpasses that of typical lithium-ion batteries, approaching the capabilities of electric double-layer capacitors (EDLCs).
- High safety: Our micro batteries exhibit outstanding safety performance, enabling them to operate flawlessly even in harsh conditions and extreme temperatures, with an exceptionally low risk of ignition or explosion.
- Low temperature: Engineered to withstand low temperatures, these specialized batteries can be charged and discharged in environments as cold as -30°C. Unlike standard lithium-ion batteries, the lithium titanate utilized in our LTO batteries eliminates the risk of
- High power discharge: Unleashing remarkable power discharge capabilities, our high discharge batteries can fully deplete their energy in approximately 3 minutes, significantly faster than the hour-long process required by conventional lithium-ion batteries.
- UL 1642 & IEC 62133-2 certified
- ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 certified
What are the application areas of Nichicon micro batteries?
Our innovative LTO micro batteries, with a compact cylindrical design starting at 3 millimeters, offer exceptional performance tailored to meet the requirements of various electronic devices operating in space-constrained environments. These energy-dense batteries can function as standalone power sources or complement other batteries. They provide a cost-effective, high-power solution suitable for a wide range of applications, including consumer devices, handheld scanners, data centers, smart metering systems, military equipment, measuring instruments, and other scenarios demanding compact yet high-voltage energy capabilities.
The versatility of our micro batteries makes them particularly valuable for applications where optimal battery size and weight is needed, such as:
- IIoT / IoT applications: Our LTO batteries are well-suited for powering Internet of Things (IoT) devices, facilitating their efficient operation and connectivity.
- Energy harvesting applications: Leveraging intermittent ambient energy sources for energy harvesting applications becomes more feasible with the use of our micro batteries, enabling reliable and sustainable power generation.
- Wireless sensors: The compact size and high energy density of our micro batteries make them an excellent choice for wireless sensor devices, ensuring long-lasting and reliable performance.
- Asset tracking applications: Tracking and monitoring assets can be effectively supported by our LTO batteries, providing a compact and robust power source for asset tracking systems.
- Space constrained applications: In environments with limited space availability, our micro batteries excel, delivering high-voltage energy in a small form factor, making them indispensable for space-constrained applications.
Nichicon has developed our smallest ever LTO micro batteries that can be used in a range of small electronic devices. You can expect high voltage output and density as well as rapid charging and discharging in a compact LTO battery.
Do you have any questions? Contact Nichicon or a distributor or sales rep in your area for more information about our micro batteries and how they could suit your application.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONs
The lithium titanate battery (LTO) shares many characteristics with the lithium-ion battery. One difference is the LTO anode. An LTO battery uses lithium titanate oxide, while a lithium-ion battery uses carbon. By using lithium titanate, the battery has a significant performance improvement.
The SLB is a battery with long leads, just like a standard capacitor. The leaded profile allows for soldering directly to the circuit board using hand soldering or a select solder technique. Lithium Titanate batteries require an additional mounting bracket or holder placed on a circuit board. The Nichicon SLB (LTO) take less board space allowing them to be used in very compact or densely populated circuit boards.
LTO batteries are safer; they have an extremely small risk of ignition if there is a short. The SLB, Nichicon’s LTO battery, has superior charge and discharge capabilities, such as a 20C charge rate. Even higher rates are possible with pulsed discharges, like those used in telecommunications.
‘The SLB can withstand up to 25,000 charge/discharge cycles and have a lower cold temperature rating than a lithium-ion battery. And its low internal resistance allows energy harvesters to charge with weak currents without loss. They will not ignite if a short occurs. In addition to the advantages previously mentioned, the SLB comes in aluminum electrolytic case styles and size.
LTO batteries outperform electric double-layer capacitors (EDLCs) in terms of capacity, discharge duration, and self-discharge. Compared to EDLCs, LTO rechargeable batteries possess significantly greater energy capacity, up to 20-30 times more than EDLC’s of the same size. This remarkable advantage allows LTO batteries to serve as a viable alternative to EDLCs, delivering extended periods of continuous power supply.
LTO batteries stand apart from standard lithium-ion batteries primarily due to their distinct choice of anode active material. While lithium-ion batteries typically employ carbon, typically graphite, LTO batteries utilize lithium titanate as their anode active material. This fundamental difference leads to several advantageous characteristics exhibited by LTO batteries, including faster charging and discharging capabilities, extended lifespan, enhanced safety, and higher power density when compared to standard lithium-ion batteries.